Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A New View

This site is taking a new direction. The main focus will revolve around Polio and Post Polio Syndrome. I will be talking about my life, how polio has affected me, who I am, etc. and now how post polio syndrome (PPS) now affects my life. It will take one through ups and downs, realities and wishful thinking, good days and better days...how it has caused me to grow and be the person that I am today. How I had to finally come, what I call, 'Face to Face' with myself. That was a big one.

I am not a sole survivor, I have many brothers and sisters out there who have travelled their own journey with polio and PPS, the journeys all have their similarities and differences. By communicating with each other, (at least for me) it has been an eye opener that what I thought was 'normal aging' isn't normal at all, some of them are specifically attributable to polio survivors.

What is my HOPE for this blog....to share my experiences; for others to share their experiences; for all of us to become a support for each other; to share resources that we are aware of; to get out the word that WE are here, that what we have and are experiencing IS REAL.

There are many, many people who have absolutely no idea what polio was or is, only that children are given a vaccine for it now. It is important that they realize what it is, that there are those out there who are experiencing a very slow debilitation process, and there is no magic pill, no exercise, no treatment that will make it go away. Is it the only thing that has these results, likely not...but it is real, and we can make the best of it with the right information....and the sooner we have the right information the better it will be.

Nancy
KannDoGirl (this name has ended up be appropriate in so many areas of my life)

No comments: